Part of the Captains House Inn’s holiday high tea menu…
Oven Temperature 350F
Yield Makes about 5 dozen
Pan Size 13 x 9 inch Metal Baking Pan
Ingredients (Shortbread Base):
1 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Ground Ginger
¼ Tsp Salt
1 Stick Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces.
¾ Stick Unsalted Butter
1 Tbsp Lyles Golden Syrup (British Cane Sugar Syrup)
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
½ Tsp Ground Ginger
½ Tsp Vanilla
Method (Shortbread Base)
1. Sift together dry ingredients and blend in butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Press evenly into bottom of pan. (Base will be thin)
3. Bake in middle of oven until golden and crisp. 12 – 16 minutes (at 9 minutes start topping).
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in remaining ingredients until smooth.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring for 30 seconds.
3. Remove shortbread from the oven and pour topping over, tilting pan to cover.
4. Leave to set and cut into sqauares.