About the Inn
A distinctive Cape Cod bed and breakfast, the Captain’s House Inn offers luxury accommodations that will be sure to make your stay relaxing and memorable. The inn is regarded by many respected lodging reviewers as perhaps “the Cape’s finest small inn.” This Four-Diamond sea captain’s estate on two acres in Chatham, Massachusetts is the perfect choice for a romantic getaway or a peaceful retreat from the workaday world.
Enjoy gourmet breakfasts served in the dining room that overlooks the gardens and grounds. The reception hall, the library, and the sitting room – with its wood-burning fireplace – are all beautifully appointed with antiques, period wallpaper, and reproduction furnishings reminiscent of Williamsburg. Don’t miss our nightly complimentary wine reception in the library!
The Main House, the attached Carriage House, the Stables, and the 200-year-old “bow roof cape” called the Captain’s Cottage, provide 16 sumptuously appointed guest quarters.
The Perfect Place
Young Captain Hiram Harding – captain of a packet clipper ship – built this stately Greek-Revival style sea captain’s home in 1839 for Lydia, his bride of one year. Set on two acres with outbuildings and a large outdoor swimming pool, the inn offers a lovely retreat space for romantic getaways, intimate weddings, and small conferences. Complete with pampering amenities and an exceptional staff, the Captain’s House Inn offers the perfect location for your Cape Cod getaway.
Read more about the inn’s history here.
At the Captain’s House Inn, you will find an all-inclusive approach to serving guests. A full gourmet breakfast and evening wine hour are included in all room rates. All guest rooms are equipped with hair dryers, coffee makers, refrigerators, irons and ironing boards, umbrellas, and a “welcome basket” of snacks and beverages. You will also find a luxurious line of Float bath amenities in your bathroom as well as plush robes, slippers on request, and sheets so soft that you might just want to take a set home!
Morning Beverage Service
- Complimentary coffee or tea and juice are served to your room starting at 7:15 am.
- The ice machine is located in the porch area at the back of the kitchen. For your convenience, an ice bucket is provided in your room. Ice buckets are filled at turndown service nightly, in season.
Daily Housekeeping and Turndown Service
- Complimentary housekeeping is provided on a daily basis. Turndown service is automatic in season and is offered between 6:00 – 9:00 pm. If you do not want turndown service, please put the sign outside your door.
- We will be happy to assist you with your luggage. Please call the office at 508-945-0127 for assistance.
- A complimentary selection of movies is available in the library of the Main House.
- We are pleased to offer laundry services to our guests. The charge for this service is $15 per load. Please notify us of any special laundry instructions. Just place your laundry in the bag, which you will find in your closet. You can arrange for this service through the office by calling the office at 508-945-0127. As an alternative, we can recommend a local laundromat.
- Treat yourself to a Captain’s House Inn mug, robe, or luxurious set of sheets.
- We would be happy to mail your “wish you were here” postcards and charge the postage to your final invoice.
- For directions, reservations, or suggestions for sightseeing, please contact a member of the staff in the main office by dialing 508-945-0127.
- We are fortunate to have two well appointed fitness centers within a mile of the inn. Chatham Health and Swim Club, a full-service gym with an indoor pool, offers guests at the Captain’s House Inn a $15.00 day pass. Chatham Works is a brand new facility offering a fully equipped gym as well as a variety of fitness classes.
- There are two bike rental shops conveniently located in Chatham. Wheelhouse Bike Company is less than a mile from the inn and just at the entrance to the Chatham extension of the Cape Cod rail trail on Crowell Road. Chatham Hood Bikes has a location in downtown Chatham as well as South Chatham. Further along the trail, bikes are available to rent at Brewster Bike at the Cape Cod Rail Trail trail head in Brewster or at Orleans Cycle, where guests can pick up the rail trail and bike to the beautiful Coast Guard Beach.
- We offer wickets and mallets for a rousing game of croquet! Our staff would be happy to help you set up for the game.
- We will be happy to arrange a massage, either at a local spa or in the comfort and privacy of your own room. Advance reservations are advised.